Location: Fully rempote. Applicant must work within timezones UTC -1 to UTC +4Deadline: 15th Oct 2021 or until filledThe Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.Position overviewOCCRP is looking for a full or part-time web intern who will be responsible for supporting the web team in developing, updating and managing the OCCRP website. Using the content management system, HTML, CSS, JS and other technologies,
this candidate will work alongside designers, editors and front-end programmers to keep the website updated, to add new content, to develop new components and to support the web teams day-to-day activities.This is an ideal internship if you are interested in building your skills in website management and development, combining both publishing and content management and web development tasks.The internship is intended for 6 months, but can be flexible on request. A small monthly stipend (up to $600 USD for full-time) to cover some of your living costs will be provided.You will be responsible for:
- Supporting our team by publishing content on our website
- Laying out content in HTML/CSS and Markdown
- Supporting developers in the development of new HTML/CSS/JS components for the website
- Editing existing content according to team needs
- Prioritizing your own time and respecting deadlines
- Writing documentation for our process
- Strong English language skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent computer literacy
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures, in English.
- Willingness to work in a deadline oriented environment.
- Enthusiasm, can-do attitude and willingness to learn independently.
- Good logical problem-solving skills.
- An interest in web development and web technologies
- Attention to detail
- Strong web culture (interest in the Internet and the web)
- Ability to take initiative and multitask, including under the pressure of deadlines
Wed like you to have:
- Have studied or be studying a diploma, degree or certificate in web development, web content management, or a similar web-related field.
- Some experience with content management systems (Wordpress, Joomla or others)
- Familiarity with some notions of good web design, good usability, accessibility, and SEO.
- Some experience using the command line and development tools like git, or if not, willingness to learn.
Benefits of working for OCCRP:
- Opportunity to work with people from around the world and exposure to new cultures
- Chance to grow and learn, and be supported in your career
- Chance to contribute directly to the fight against corruption and organized crime
- Fully remote working