Facebook is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer Intern to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on future performance and capacity scaling problems. This person would be required to cross-functionally work with a number of teams to ensure efficient operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective.
This is a 12 week summer internship based in London, starting June 2022.
1. Solve the hardest software performance issues: develop cutting edge software and work closely with other software developers to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption, and shorten request latency.
2. Tackle the state-of-the-art hardware performance issues and develop industry leading solutions to analyze and debug difficult server performance issues, identify bottlenecks, and optimize product/service performance.
3. Develop the coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Write monitoring, reporting, and data aggregation tools to do performance and capacity-related load test to track, report, and analyze regressions.
4. Explore and develop novel solutions to scale the largest web capacity in the world: Work with Services, Product, Data, and Infrastructure teams to scale the data center infrastructure including tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of petabytes of data, and thousands of Gb/s of network flow.
5. Own end-to-end product design, launch, and operation: Support architecture design, define networking requirements, and help build systems from scratch to support new product launches.
6. Provide deepest visibility to Facebook products and services: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
7. A lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with Systems, Network, Application Operations, and Engineering teams to discover resolutions.
1. Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a Bachelors or Masters (or equivalent) degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
2. Experience in coding and scripting languages such as C, C++ or Python.
3. Interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Experience working with cross-functional teams.
1. Experience working in large-scale computing infrastructures.
2. Experience working cross-functionally with a number of teams.
3. Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op