Materials/Polymer Chemistry - 12 months internship - Research and Technology Development - UK
The material and applied surface science group focus on the development of novel materials and chemistries supporting Sequencing by Synthesis.
Our mission? To help improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome
When you join the high-performing team at Illumina, your work takes on new meaning-to an exponential degree. Our growth, our positive culture, and the impact our products are having in the world will ignite the same passion in you that drives our people forward. And together, we accomplish beyond expectations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the synthesis, the analysis and the testing of new material using a laboratory tools, including sequencing. The intern may help write experimental reports, summaries and protocols for supervisors and other team members as appropriate.
Responsibilities will include
- Plan and conduct experiments in polymer synthesis, nano-particles generation, surface coating and organic chemistry
- Collect and process analytical data using Dynamic Light Scattering, ellipsometry, Infra-red, NMR, Goniometry and Fluorescence Microscopy
- Record progress and detailed experiments in lab book and PowerPoint presentations
- Communicate and discuss results obtained with other scientists and project's stakeholders
- Collaborate with other scientists within the company to apply the results of research and develop new techniques
- Regularly present ongoing work and findings to colleagues during weekly and monthly updates at the project and department levels
- Help devise new research orientations
- Work in multidisciplinary teams, across department, function and sites
- Keep up to date with the work of other scientists within the company and outside (i.e academical papers, review, patents and workshops)
- Follow and uphold Illumina's health and safety guidelines and rules.
- Protect Illumina's IP by not disclosing any aspect of the work outside Illumina's R&D department
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred background, skills and experience
- MSc student in Chemistry or Chemical engineering preferred.
- Ideally some polymer science and/or materials chemistry coursework and practical lab experience
- Good oral communication and presentation skills in English.
- Detail-oriented, organized and meticulous
- Ability to implement protocols and keep good notes electronically and in a lab notebook.
- Be able to work in teams.