The Legal Department is responsible for identifying and analysing legal and commercial issues, including communicating advice clearly and effectively, as part of an overall responsibility for managing and overseeing legal risk for the businesses supported. The Legal Department is also responsible for managing its own conduct risk, promoting a positive culture of good conduct and compliance and contributing to the management of conduct risk throughout the businesses supported.
The team supporting the MARK business in London is part of the Paris- London platform providing legal support on a merged basis across the Paris and London MARK businesses. SEGL/JUR/WHL/MAR is a group of legal experts providing support on market transactions to a variety of internal clients, mainly to MARK (FIC, EQD, ENG and SLS). SEGL/JUR/WHL/MAR comprises three legal teams across Paris and London. The position involves assisting the following two of those teams:
- The Programmes & Structured Issuances legal team (SEGL/JUR/WHL/MAR/PSI)
- Structured Over-the-Counter Derivatives legal team (SEGL/JUR/WHL/MAR/OTC)
Key activities of the team include drafting and reviewing of the legal documentation in relation to bespoke derivatives, repo or securities lending transactions, collateralised financing transactions, structured deposits, structured note issuances, agreements relating to the distribution of MARK products, setting up of various schemes dedicated to SGs clients and employees, equity lines, New product Committees, dispute resolution and engagement with the Structuring teams of MARK, CORI/STG, Compliance, Tax and other internal stakeholders, for a variety of internal clients, mainly MARK (FIC, EQD, ENG and SLS). The team covers (i) transactions of MARK on all types of underlyings (except commodities) and delivers template documentation for deposits, notes, flow derivative transactions (on equity, FX and interest rate) and repurchase transactions, (ii) legal support to GBSU and the front office on such transactions, (iii) MARK on the distribution of financial instruments by
maintaining a catalogue of a set of disclaimers and drafting the UK and French Distribution Agreements templates; and (v) MARK in relation to legal issues arising from SGs relationship with market infrastructures (CCPs and third party electronic trading platforms), (vi) the UK aspects of transversal projects of a legal or regulatory nature (e.g. clearing, e-business) and (vii) issuance programmes.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
In particular, you are likely to assist senior lawyers with:
- the review/drafting/negotiation of term sheets and contracts relating to securities issuance and derivatives transactions, including distribution agreements, swap confirmations, service agreements, confidentiality agreements, software agreements, terms of business and other derivatives documentation with external clients or suppliers;
- advising the Global Markets sales, trading and structuring desks on all aspects of their securities issuance and flow and structured derivatives business; and
- researching legal and regulatory issues and dealing with miscellaneous legal queries from the trading floor.
Work under supervision at all times of relevant members of the SGL/LGL team.
- Some basic knowledge of financial law and good knowledge of foundation areas of English law;
- A reasonable understanding of the role of banks;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good research and analytical skills, and ability to summarise information;
- Ability to anticipate;
- Good at keeping management informed of pending matters and reporting any difficulty or disruption;
- Team player;
- Demonstrable interest in and aptitude for an English legal career;
- Dynamic and proactive;
- Adaptable and pragmatic;
- Good organisational and time-management skills.
Prior experience as a paralegal or similar could be an advantage but is not essential.
- University graduate with top academics
- To have completed the LPC or a law degree in the UK
- Fluent in English
- French an advantage but not essential
Why join us
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. Its personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like hard work and dedication together with community and respect has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and its what makes us different. Its what makes you different.