Location : Telford
Start Date: June 2021
Who you’ll be working with
Our industry-leading developing and engineering community are at the top of their game. Responsible for some of the world’s most imaginative websites, applications and technical advancements, they refuse to be constrained by the limits of today’s technology – instead developing for tomorrow’s needs. From the most senior field experts to those just starting out in their careers, this is a team that works together to blow the competition out of the water.
The Focus of Your Role
From your first meeting with a client through to the finished product, you will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining cutting-edge applications and the environments they will function in. With clients ranging from the Royal Mail to the Home Office, your work will make a massive impact on the British public, and further afield for our international clientele.
What you’ll do
- You’ll develop and maintain bespoke solutions for a varied client base, which includes both the public and private sectors – drawing on different languages, methods and approaches.
- You’ll support live systems and applications, implementing bug fixes and exploring improvements through code changes.
- You’ll take responsibility for components of a much larger system, writing code to complement that which is being developed by colleagues.
- You’ll be working within a DevOps team, which work with a set of practices that break down the traditional barriers between software development and IT operations. DevOps Engineers work as part of cross-functional teams, with an aim to reduce the time it takes for new software to be delivered into production.
What you’ll bring
- A bachelor’s degree, relevant and practical IT experience, as well as a passion for software. A basic knowledge of the tools and languages used to write code would be beneficial.
- Most importantly, we want people with an appetite for learning new technologies. DevOps is a constantly evolving field!
- If you’ve got a passion for IT and can demonstrate a competency and experience in computing
- Outstanding communication skills – our clients need to feel confident that you understand their requirements.
- The ability to convey complex concepts in jargon-free language to a non-technical audience.
Note: You will have lived in the UK for the last five years with no more than 6 months out of the country (in order to meet security clearance requirements). You will be required to work away from home during the week after the initial training period.
What we’ll offer you
An industry-leading career. Access to innovative projects – and entrepreneurial colleagues. A team atmosphere where horizon-expanding challenges are matched with limitless professional opportunities.
With DevOps Engineers in high demand, we’ve set up the Platform Engineer Academy – an initiative to develop talent to become highly skilled Platform Engineers. The initial 14-week training will be a varied schedule of online training, along with hands-on exercises led by experienced practitioners. On successful completion of the initial training, you’ll be placed on a client DevOps engagement at one of several UK locations.
During and after the Academy, you’ll be given the appropriate support to learn from our experienced engineers. Capgemini believes this gives the best introduction to a role in DevOps and allows you to develop your skills in a real environment.
What you'll learn
• Linux fundamentals
• Cloud services (including AWS and Azure)
• Agile working
• Infrastructure as Code
• Continuous integration and continuous delivery, and the tools we use.
• Containerisation, including Docker, and orchestration with Kubernetes.
• Monitoring and logging
At Capgemini, we don’t just have a passion for the potential within technology, we live and breathe it. It’s a passion that our people share too. So if you want to work in an organisation that celebrates ambition and creativity, and rewards hard work with a flexible benefits package that can be tailored to your life-stage, then you’ll be a natural fit here.