Anglian Water has created a new deliver enterprise - the Strategic Pipeline Alliance (SPA). The projects purpose is to 'Make the East of England resilient to the effects of drought'. Achieving our purpose will ensure the security of water supply for future generations, over decades to come.
By delivering a smart and resilient transfer system through the delivery of Pipelines, Pumping Stations and associated structures, we will be capable of delivering large scale strategic assets and complex systems to our current asset base by ensuring that these are digitally enabled.
Essential to contributing to our ambitious and exciting ambitions is our ability to gather, manage and analyse information of our region's geography to ensure we make innovative and smart decisions. With this in mind, we are looking for a Graduate Mechanical Designer.
Assist in providing designs which are innovative and deliver value for money whilst acting as a problem-solver by applying engineering principles. Participate in the review of scope, methodology, programme and resource for implementing the design stage of the project and design support during construction.
You will be embedded within the SPA delivery team and be responsible for part of the design output. You will liaise with Production Line Leads, Design Leads and other technical discipline Designers alongside this role. You will be responsible for creation of detailed mechanical design elements, such as pump stations and break tanks, including building services, control, monitoring and telemetry systems. In your section, you will report to the Senior Mechanical Lead and be responsible for a section of the design output, and information flow.
Costain helps to improve people's lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK's energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
This role is for our Strategic Pipeline Alliance (SPA) with Anglian Water, based in Peterborough.
- Reporting to the appropriate scheme Design Lead and SPA Mechanical Lead, Supply Chain Designers, Offshore Designers, SPA Planners and Delivery Teams.
- Develop technical solutions from concept selection through design development.
- Assist in the procurement model we have for MEICA, including determining the elements we will do with sub-contractors.
- Co-ordinate the production of construction drawings in CAD, BIM and GIS environment. Have an ability to embrace digital delivery - e.g. intelligent P&ID's.
- Develop your capabilities in producing designs which minimise safety risks in construction and subsequent maintenance.
- Support good information flow, e.g. via Technical Queries etc.
- Understand the importance of design interactions from solutions, production and delivery.
- Work closely with team members to ensure requirements are met.
- Embrace digital transformation throughout design, including the creation of a Digital Twin.
- Involvement in the interfaces with our Utilities and Environmental teams, and liaison with Temporary Works Design.
- Be involved in stakeholder discussions with power suppliers.
- Join in supplier discussions around relevant plant and kit.
- Gain understanding of CAPEX and OPEX solution decision making.
- Acquire commercial abilities in managing estimates, targets and forecasts for the design work.
- Support the Solutions, Engineering and Production teams with pioneering ideas to gain efficiencies.
- Provide technical support to technical meetings.
Applicants should preferably demonstrate experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and have a track record in design of a portion of the works.
They need an ability to embrace production thinking but equally be experienced in producing solutions which are operable and maintainable.
Show an ability to understand the system interoperability and how their design and decisions will ultimately lead the SPA control philosophy and performance with new and existing AW assets.
The SPA Alliance. Building Resilience. Building Pipelines. Building career aspirations.
As part of SPA's commitment to diversity and inclusion, we are challenging ourselves to address and remove unconscious bias within our recruitment and selection process. Initial reviews of CV's and applications forms are anonymised and not issued to the hiring manager.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we'll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.