The post holder is part of a technical community who will provide core support for the Colleges laboratory, clinical skills & anatomy teaching commitments. The post holder being primarily responsible for supporting the technical teams with their day-to-day roles and responsibilities being flexible working across different departments & buildings as required. The post involves significant setting up practical learning spaces, preparation of laboratory reagents & tidying learning spaces. The post holder will be expected to help and assist the technical staff during practical sessions.
You will learn to provide technical assistance in the relevant department. In order to flexibly use resource you may be given the opportunity to work in different areas of the department or wider University. You may need to operate out of normal working hours to accommodate classes. You will conduct practical work within an area regulated by the Human Tissue Authority.
The apprentice will be learning and developing skills in the following areas:
1. You will carry out specified techniques, tests or experiments as directed;
2. Identify simple problems and resolve and recognise when to refer issues to your manager;
3. Maintain accurate records and draft routine documentation related to your duties;
4. Ensure the health, safety and cleanliness of immediate work area, by encouraging staff and students to comply with all basic University / College Health & Safety policies and reporting any issues to your line manager, technical manager, laboratory manager or College Safety Advisor as appropriate;
5. Confirm that all required assessments are in place, approved and up to date;
6. Carry out regular maintenance processes as appropriate and ensuring records are maintained;
7. Report any breaches or non-compliance with health and safety procedures to the Line Manager, Technical Manager, Laboratory Manager or College Safety Advisor;
8. Ensuring waste disposal is carried out correctly for laboratory, recycled and general waste;
9. Adopt a proactive attitude to assisting with and implementing carbon reduction and energy saving measures;
10. Assisting with stock level control and informing Line Manager when replacements are required;
11. Receipt and correct storage of consumables and chemical reagents;
12. Reporting any problems with equipment or services to the line manager or colleague as appropriate;
13. You will treat everyone with dignity and respect, supporting equality and valuing diversity;
14. You will complete any other duties as may be reasonably required by either the Line Manager or Technical Managers.
- GCSE (A*- C / 4-9 or equivalent) Mathematics, English & Science, NVQ Level 2, BTEC Level 2 or equivalent; or specific relevant experience in an appropriate subject.
- Positive service attitude and shows courtesy in dealing with others.
- Ability to organise and manage own work load after consultation with supervisor and demonstrate flexibility in terms of work practices/requirements.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to learn and understand how diversity considerations affect own area.
- Awareness of current relevant H&S policies.
- Basic understating of commonly used software packages.